CWSC supports residents and landowners prepare themselves, their families, and their homes for wildfire using the principles of the Firewise and Ready, Set, Go! programs and providing resources to residents and landowners to take steps to prepare Before, During, and After the Fire.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Firewise Communities program “teaches people how to adapt to living with wildfire and encourages neighbors to work together and take action now to prevent losses.” The Firewise program provides a list of resources and tools to create defensible space around your home, utilize Firewise landscaping and construction, and how to assess and prepare your home and neighborhood safer for wildfire.
In the Leavenworth area, CWSC obtained certification of the Chumstick watershed as a recognized Firewise Community USA. Recognized communities have a developed action plan to prepare and protect their homes against the threat of wildfire.
CWSC supports all residents and homeowners in becoming Firewise by:
- Providing Firewise information on how to prepare your home and landscape
- Hosting annual Firewise workshops
- Performing home, structure, and landscaping risk assessments
- Assisting residents and homeowners to develop a Firewise plan for their homes, structures, and landscape
- Coordinating with home and landscaping practitioners to put the Firewise plan into action
- Assisting with cost-share applications and coordinating financial assistance with other organizations
If you are interested participating in CWSC’s Firewise program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready, Set, Go!
The Ready, Set, Go! program works in collaboration with the Firewise Communities program. Ready, Set, Go! encourages landowners to develop relationships with and talk to their local fire department to learn about the risks of wildfire directly affecting your community and how to prepare. Ready, Set, Go! helps residents learn how to be informed, be aware, and act in the event of an emergency.